When you are looking…
To brighten your smile
If you are unhappy with the colour of your teeth, teeth whitening can help
Of all the cosmetic dental treatments available, teeth whitening is one of the most affordable. By brightening the look of your teeth you can relatively easily enhance the appearance of your smile.
Teeth whitening treatments come in several different forms:
- in office
- at home
- over the counter
Why do teeth discolour?
It’s important to note that natural teeth are rarely white. Most tooth enamel – the protective coating on our teeth – varies from yellowish to bluish-grey. But it is true that younger teeth tend to be brighter. This is due to several factors:
- As we age, our tooth enamel naturally becomes thinner, exposing more of the underlying dentin which tends to be darker
- The foods we consume over our lifetimes can stain or discolour our teeth
- Some medications such as tetracycline can cause teeth to darken
- Dental restorations can also impact the colour of our teeth
What’s the best type of teeth whitening treatment?
Over the counter teeth whitening treatments are very popular. They can be purchased at most drug stores or pharmacies.
While they are the least expensive option, there are several things to consider before you embark on self-directed teeth whitening treatment
- Not all over the counter whitening agents are effective. There are even some that use unsafe ingredients like citric acid or titanium dioxide.
- Not all teeth respond well to teeth whitening treatments. Teeth that have been restored with a dental filling or a crown, for example, may not whiten to the same degree as your natural teeth. In some cases, dental bonding or a dental veneer may be a more effective treatment option.
- Your teeth need to be healthy before you attempt to whiten them. Oral health issues like tooth decay, plaque build up, defective dental restorations or gum disease need to be resolved before a teeth whitening treatment can be effective.
That’s why we recommend a dental exam or consultation before you begin to whiten your teeth.
The advantages of a dentist supervised teeth whitening treatment are:
- stronger bleaching agents are used, often making the results faster and brighter
- mouthpiece trays are custom made, maximizing the contact of the whitening agent on your teeth and minimizing its contact with your gums
- the health or your teeth and gums are monitored throughout the whitening process
Ready for whiter teeth?
If you would like you brighten your teeth, Chestermere dentist Dr Lowry can help you find the most affordable and effective teeth whitening treatment for your oral health, budget and smile goals.