When you are looking…
For options to replace missing teeth
Why replace missing teeth?
Missing teeth are a cause for concern. Not only do they have an impact on your appearance, missing teeth can cause health issues as well.
Teeth are very important for us humans. In fact, many people are emotionally connected to their teeth. For these patients, missing teeth can come with a deep sense of loss. That’s because the way we look and the way people perceive us is often important to us.
Teeth are also critical as part of the digestive process. Without a mechanism, to effectively grind food, our digestive enzymes can’t do their job as well, potentially robbing us of important nutrients.
Teeth are team players
Your teeth need each other to work effectively. When one or several are missing a few things can occur:
- Drifting. A missing tooth leaves behind a gap. Over time, the surrounding teeth can drift into the space
- Loss of balance: When teeth shift, the balance of the bite can be lost.
- Loss of function: An unbalanced bite doesn’t function as it should and can lead to further breakdown
- Loss of support: Without teeth our face loses its structural support. This can lead to changes in your lips, cheeks and chin – often making you look older
Today there are many options to replace missing teeth
- Dental implants tend to be the most long-lasting, solid tooth replacement option, because they replace both the tooth and its roots, However, implants are not for everyone. Cost considerations, anatomy and jawbone health may make other treatments preferable.
- A fixed dental bridge spans the gap created by a missing tooth or teeth by using the healthy teeth on either side of the gap as supports for the false tooth
- A partial denture is a removable appliance that consists of replacement teeth attached to a plastic, gum coloured base.
What’s your best tooth replacement treatment?
That’s a good question, but not an easy one to answer off the cuff. Once you’ve undergone a dental exam, Chestermere dentist Dr Lowry can help you choose an affordable treatment that will best suit your goals, budget and individual oral health.