Looking to improve your smile fast? Try teeth whitening
A smile can make a powerful first impression, especially when it reveals beautifully straight, bright teeth. No matter how perfectly aligned your teeth are, however, years of eating and drinking certain foods may have your pearly whites looking a little more gray these days. For many people, no amount of brushing can remove layers deep of stubborn stains. So how can you improve your smile fast without breaking the bank? Teeth whitening!
What causes teeth to darken?
The whiter teeth of the young can become darker through the years for many reasons:
- The natural aging process causes the protective tooth enamel to thin, gradually revealing more dentin. This underlying layer is naturally darker than the top, whiter layer of enamel you are used to seeing
- Tetracycline and doxycycline can cause tooth discoloration if administered to children when their teeth are still developing. Mouthwashes containing chlorhexidine or cetylpyridinium chloride can also discolour your teeth, as can antihistamines, antipsychotic drugs, and medications for high blood pressure
- Foods and drinks, including tomato sauces, teas, coffees, red wines consumed over the years leave behind stains that are hard to remove through regular brushing
- Smoking and other tobacco products can stain teeth an unpleasant yellow
Get the best option
Teeth whitening is a non-invasive treatment option that can improve the appearance of your smile in a relatively short amount of time. However, not all teeth whitening treatments are the same. Treatments that use use a carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide bleaching agent tend to be the safest teeth whitening agents. If you choose to go the over-the-counter route, be sure to read the active ingredients before you begin as those that use an acid pre-rinse can damage your tooth’s enamel.
While over the counter treatments tend to be less expensive in the short term, they are not the most effective because they use a weaker bleaching agent. When you whiten your teeth under the supervision of Dr Lowry you can often achieve better a better outcome. How?
- The more powerful whitening agent helps to get you faster results
- Custom-fitted trays are used to maximize the effectiveness of the whitening agent and minimize gum irritation
- By having your dentist supervise the treatment, you’re more likely to get more effective results while protecting your teeth and gums
Where can you learn more?
Because the ultimate success of your teeth whitening treatment depends on the state of your oral health, your best bet to find the most effective and safest teeth whitening treatment option is to start with a consultation and exam with a Chestermere dentist, like Dr. Levi Lowry.